SARNAK is always looking for new members who are interested in helping sick, lost or injured people in the backcountry.
Membership in SARNAK has several requirements, but comes with many benefits as well.
- Satisfaction in providing assistance to those who need it
- Camaraderie in belonging to a group of caring and fit people
- Members receive a SARNAK logo sticker and logo patch
- Members are eligible for training reimbursements up to $350
- Members are eligible to receive fuel reimbursements for qualifying searches
- Increased knowledge of the backcountry and survival skills
New Member Requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Fill out and submit application along with application fee (fee includes first year’s dues)
- Complete ICS 100 and 700 and include proof of successful completion with application
- Provide proof of valid CPR and first aid certifications
- Receive and review SARNAK by-laws and standard operating guidelines
- Must be willing to work with others in strenuous conditions and inclement weather
- Must be willing to complete any assigned role regardless of individual skills
- Applicants must attend three consecutive trainings, one of which must be a field exercise
- Accommodations can be made with the training officer if consecutive meetings can not be attended
- Complete all other requirements listed on application
- Submit application packet and fee by mail to SARNAK, PO Box 1116, Saranac Lake, NY 12893 or present packet and fee to the Coordinator, Training Officer or Search Manager
- Please note that some certifications may be acquired after joining SARNAK. Speak to the Coordinator, Training Officer or Secretary if there are any questions
- Pay annual dues, currently set at $10
- Attend half of all team meetings and trainings, including at least three field trainings
- Outside training can count toward training requirements, check with the training officer to determine eligibility
- Training officer may add additional trainings as make-ups for members
- For members wishing to take part in wilderness rescues, the annual pack test must be completed
- Arduous pack test: Walk three miles in 45 minutes while carrying 45 pounds
- Non-arduous pack test: Two miles in 25 minutes while carrying 25 pounds
SARNAK incurs a variety of annual and one-time expenses ranging from mileage and medical training reimbursements for members to insurance payments and equipment purchases. Donations of any size are welcome and very much appreciated.
All donations of $10 or more will receive a thank-you letter and SARNAK logo sticker.
SARNAK is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Mail a check or money order to:
Search and Rescue of the Northern Adirondacks
PO Box 1116
Saranac Lake, NY 12983